Created With Aloha Two

Created With Aloha Two

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Happy Year of the Horse!

It has been lots of fun celebrating Chinese New Year so far.  It started off with having dinner at my house with my hubby, kids, and my parents.  Then on Sunday we had our annual Chinese New Year brunch.  Each year one person makes a huge pot of porridge and the rest of the people in my Sunday School Department brings the condiments.  Here is a picture of my bowl of ono porridge full of condiments.


My favorite condiments are 1000 year old egg, greasy Chinese bread, nori, and green onion.  To make the festivities more fun a lot of us wear our Chinese outfits.  Here is a picture of my hubby and I with our outfits on.

As a gift to the students in my Sunday School class, I made these tags and attached them to the back of the tablets that I purchased from a party store.  (I printed the horse out because my Year of the Horse stamp has still not arrived.)


Here a close up picture of the tags that I made.


I put the tablets in a red envelope.  After church we went to California Adventure to continue our celebrating.


One area was beautifully decorated in Chinese decorations.  This is one of my favorites.


We saw Mulan and Mushu, Chip and Dale, and Mickey in their Chinese outfits.  (My kids wore their Chinese clothes to take a picture with the characters.)  My favorite is of course Mulan and Mushu.


There were also several activities- an area where they wrote our name in Chinese, face painting, a spot to write our wishes and hang it on a clothes line, and an area to learn to do the ribbon dance. Here is picture of my hubby with two of ladies that showed us how to do the ribbon dance.


There was also a processional with Mulan, performances by different Asian dance companies, a dragon dance, and a food stand with char sieu baus, fortune cookies in a take out box, and beautifully carved sour doe bread.

All the activities were awesome and made celebrating Chinese New Year so much fun.  As my Chinese New Year gift my hubby got a super cute Small World purse.  I especially love the characters on it.


Thanks for stopping by to see what I have to share.  Stay tune for more pictures of my Chinese NY celebrations and some crafty stuff.




No comments:

Post a Comment